Custom Search

Monday, October 6, 2008

Who decides this crap?

As some of you may know, I used to drive a red Dodge Ram 1500 sport with a 5.9 V8 Magnum. I used to love the winter time when I had that truck or Roy as I called him. Roy and I played in the snow like a ten year old would with his best buddies. Sometimes we got into a sticky situation, but nothing a couple shovels and sandbags couldn’t handle. I used to laugh at all the people stuck at home when we would get a little over a foot of snow. I had Goodyear Silent Armor, seven ply, class E, Kevlar lined, mega snow tires on my truck. They were about one hundred and eighty dollars each, but they looked good and they could track through anything and as you may know, truck tires have much greater tread life than a car tire would have. I painfully sold Roy this last march, in hopes to ease up on fuel costs and the repairs were getting expensive.

I had purchased a silver 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse. Winter is coming up faster than we would like, so I decided it was time to start looking for some snow tires for my new car. I stood at the counter of a Goodyear dealer in Onalaska as the salesman looked up my tires; I actually choked on the Mountain Dew I was drinking when he told me the tires were going to be one hundred and eighty five dollars each. I cannot believe it, one hundred and eighty five dollars for a car tire, that is more than I paid for the tires I put on my truck, and that was a lot of tire. So that brings up the question, who decides this crap? Why would one measly car tire run five dollars more than the rugged, Kevlar lined, load barring, seven ply, long life, large truck tires I had? I am sure this is not an uncommon problem for people, when reason does not seem to matter in pricing and you get jacked. If anyone has an idea why this kind of stuff happens other than the obvious corporate greed I would like to know.

5 comments:

WriteOn said...

Paul,
First let me state the titles can help to determine readership, I must confess that your title got my eye right away. I definately HAD to know what you were writing about.

As far as your level of agrivation is concerned, it is most definately justified. I find that I am often wondering the same thing, especially where car repair costs are concerned. Last year I replaced my battery and put 4 brand new tires on my car and 1 month later it died. It wasn't until winter hit and I needed new tires on the new vehicle that it occurred to me that I should have taken the new tires with me when I traded. Oh well... you live, you learn.

It can be very tough to be a consumer and a college student at the same time. Good luck with the new car, may your repairs be few.

Jake said...

Yeah Low pro's are really expensive, I have 18's on my BMW so I try to find a good price for tires, I got some used continental tires for 100 bucks(for all) and mounted! they were about 75% tread too. Ebay has hella deals on tires too!

jamie said...

I don't know what to tell you about the, rediculously, jacked up prices on those tires. It doesn't make any more scence to me, than it does to you. All I can tell you is to take Jakes advice, get them on Ebay.

Craig Smith Family said...

I thought Roy was the red van... are all the vehicles you own going to be called Roy?

Brenda and Jason said...

i though roy was the van too... you know, the one you flipped upside down... poor roy.